Here’s A Few Tips If Your Toilets Overflows
The toilet is one of the most vital parts of a home with many functions. Unfortunately, this function fails occasionally, causing toilet overflows. But when a toilet overflows can cause untold damage in a home if it is not immediately addressed and fixed. Water from an overflowing toilet can seep into carpeting, pad underneath carpets and areas such as crawlspaces (basements) which are easily susceptible to water damage. What should you do if this happens?
Here’s a few steps help prevent further damage after a toilet overflows
- Immediately turn off the water valve to prevent further water from overflowing. The valve should be located near the base of the toilet.
- After you have turned off the water supply, call a Plumber Immediately. If the water stops flowing, continue to the steps below.
- If water has flown onto the floor, clean it up with towels to prevent the floor from saturating the water. Especially if the restroom is on a second floor as it can seep through the ceiling below. Causing major water damage to your home.
- Next, be sure to disinfect any areas where the toilet water has spilled on to.
- If there is a solid item that may have accidentally fallen in, try pulling it out wearing rubber gloves.
- Too much water in the bowl? Be sure to remove some of it to prevent it from overflowing and use a plunger or snake (you can purchase these at your local home improvement store) to unclog whatever may be clogging the drain and causing the overflow.
These tips didn’t help unclog the drain? Then it is time to call a plumber out to take care of the issue for you.
To avoid future clogs, never flush diapers or sanitary products down the toilet. These items can expand and clog the drain. A toilet is only intended for the use of toilet paper and human waste.
It is an unfortunate fact that this can happen. While it may be just a small amount of water, if you’re not careful toilet water damage can become very costly to fix. Should you have extensive damage or human waste overflow, give JW Home Care a call so we can go out and do the cleanup and start the remediation for you. We are available 24/7 for all your needs.