This past Labor Day weekend in Ventura County we had a major Heat Wave, a Heat Wave is a prolonged period of unusually high temperatures in a region. How well were you prepared for the Heat Wave?
Did you know that heat is the number one weather-related killer? Ventura County reported 1 heat-related death over the Holiday weekend involving a hiker, as well as several hikers that had to be rescued. The death and rescues prompted closings of all trails in Ventura County. Heat is no joke!! Anyone can suffer from a heat-related illness if they over-exert themselves or simply don’t take extreme heat warnings seriously.
Here are some tips to help you prepare :
HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE
- Stay indoors if at all possible
- Keep your AC or fans on
- Stay on the bottom floor if no AC is available
- Keep windows covered, blocking the sunlight
- Outdoor Exercise: Carry water, wear a hat, wear light, loose-fitting clothing
- If you are working outdoors, take frequent breaks and drink water
- Stay away from alcohol, soda and high sugar drinks (they dehydrate you)
- Check on elderly neighbors, family and friends
- If animals cannot be kept indoors, keep them in shaded areas and ensure they have plenty of water
REMEMBER to NEVER leave children or pets alone in vehicles!!
Here are a few links from the National Weather Service on Heat Safety: